September 27, 2008

Boys wearing eyeliner





It is not as if boys wearing eyeliner is exactly new. Punk and Goths have been wearing it since the late seventies and possibly before. Guyliner as a statement of rebellion (or a constant state of forlorn-ness) has its place, I guess. But more recently, boys have been wearing eyeliner to make their eyes "pop!!". Take for example Nestor Carbonell*, an actor on Lost. I know what you are thinking: "All actors wear makeup, he does not count". And if we were talking about say George Clooney, or someone of the sort, I would agree. But we are not. Most of the actors on Lost are covered in dirt and sweat 99% of the time, but nary a one is wearing guyliner. Except for Carbonell. We are talking about a guy who is portraying someone living on a magical island with limited supplies and lots of heat and water. Heat and water are not friends of eyeliner, yet his eyeliner never runs or smears. He also wears it when not on set. I think he may have gotten the makeup tattoo! Getting perma-guyliner is taking girly to a whole new level.







And while I'm on the topic of boys wearing eyeliner, I have to bring up Pete Wentz*. He seems to be everywhere and I have never seen him sans liner. I think he's in some band. I don't know what kind of music he plays, but I know he is not a member of The Cure. Therefore, the only explanation I can come up with is that he is a girl. And if you are a boy wearing eyeliner, you are a girl as well.




*I know I promised early on to keep my subjects identities secret. I intend to do that still, but since these boys are famous I figure they are used to being called out. I promise to try to keep my call outs to a minimum.

No comments: