December 14, 2008

Boys eating at La Madeleine


While dining at the notoriously girly restaurant La Madeleine last night, I noticed something odd: most of the diners were boys. There were father and son pairs, a group of 20 something guys, two older men, etc. None of these boys had women with them and none appeared to be gay. Pretty much every man I know will only go into said establishment if he is accompanied by a woman who chose to eat there. I found it unsettling in the same way I would find it unsettling if a group of women chose to have dinner at BW3's on a Saturday night without the Olympics on TV. Why would a group of straight men eat at La Madeleine? Did they have a craving for salad and quiche? Were they in need of delicate pastries? The only logical conclusion I can come up with for boys choosing to eat at girly restaurants is that boys are the new girls.

No comments: